The Innovation and Design Building is the place where Boston’s smart businesses work. Meeting the workspace needs of the individuals and companies that are fueling today’s economy with its open, flexible floor plans, high ceilings, and natural light-filled spaces, the Innovation and Design Building is like no other property in Boston.
With Jamestown’s thoughtful stewardship and ambitious plans for revitalization, the Innovation and Design Building is poised to anchor the eastern portion of the Seaport District, attracting industries that are pioneering the innovation economy. Enhancements to the building include activation of the ground floor with the addition of food vendors, shipping container kiosks, and seating, and the creation of new event spaces and programming—amenities which will help IDB businesses recruit top talent in their fields. The enterprising IDB community includes the world's largest start-up accelerator program for early-stage entrepreneurs and a makers community of skilled artisans and craftspeople, and New England's premier antiques market. Come and see why so many pioneering companies and entrepreneurs work here.
The eight-story Innovation and Design Building (IDB) complex was constructed on the Commonwealth Flats by the U.S. Department of Defense in 1918, and it originally served as a waterside storehouse for the South Boston Army Base. In its heyday during World War II, 50,000 people worked around the clock at the South Boston Army Base and neighboring South Boston Naval Annex repairing and overhauling American ships and warehousing and distributing a wide range of military goods and supplies. The City of Boston acquired the IDB facility and neighboring properties from the U.S. Army and Navy in 1983 and established the Boston Marine Industrial Park. The creative and entrepreneurial spirit that presided in South Boston’s 20th Century manufacturing and warehousing zones lives on in the workspaces of today’s innovation economy businesses. Today the 1.4 million square foot Innovation and Design Building is home to a dynamic mix of companies and industries that include architecture and creative service studios, specialized manufacturing facilities, research and development firms, and technology start-ups. At its western end the IDB complex is anchored by the Boston Design Center, New England’s premier resource for design professionals, with showrooms featuring more than 1,200 luxury furnishing and decorating product lines.
Location, location, location. Space, light, and harbor and skyline views. The Innovation and Design Building is located in the Boston Marine Industrial Park (BMIP), part of the Seaport’s Innovation District nestled between downtown and South Boston. The BMIP is home to more than 200 businesses and 3,000 employees and has a rich history as a center of marine industry. IDB is flanked by one of the country’s largest working dry docks to the north and by the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to the south, affording building employees a firsthand view of the impressive military and passenger ships that visit Boston Harbor throughout the year. The Innovation and Design Building is conveniently located along the MBTA Silver Line route, just minutes from South Station, and is within walking distance of the residential neighborhoods of the Seaport and South Boston, as well as area amenities and cultural institutions.
You can get here from there! The Innovation and Design Building achieved an ECO Pinnacle Award in 2016 for Excellence in Commuter Options. The center of Boston has shifted south, and what once was considered the outskirts of Downtown is now the center of the vibrant Seaport District. Walk, bike, bus, boat, or even swim over to IDB.
- Five MBTA Silver Line stations on site with five minute intervals at rush hour.
- MBTA bus routes with connections throughout Boston and the South Boston Waterfront.
- Route #4—North Station to South Station to Innovation and Design Building.
- Route #7—City Point to Downtown Crossing, connects to South Station and South Boston via Summer Street.
IDB SHUTTLE BUS
- Dedicated shuttle service to and from South and North Stations.
- Shuttle runs in continuous loop during peak hours of 6 to 10 a.m. and 3 to 7 p.m.
- Two Hubway bike share stations located on Drydock Avenue. Sign up today for an annual Hubway membership or opt for daily memberships at thehubway.com.
- IDB tenants are eligible to receive 20% off MyBikeBicycle Repair Benefits. Get your unique coupon code from the Seaport TMA or call directly at (617) 385-5515.
- Bike racks located on site. Covered bike storage and shower facilities coming soon.
- Two minute drive to I-90.
- Five minute drive to I-93.
- Taxi, Uber, and Lyft “front door” car service.
- Two on site Zipcars.
- Water taxi transportation to the Reserved Channel, just south of IDB. Visit bostonharborcruises.com or roweswharfwatertransport.com to learn more about their on-demand service.
- Five minutes from Boston’s Logan International Airport.
- MBTA Silver Line Waterfront SL1 provides service to all Logan Airport terminals.We are proud members of the Seaport Transportation Management Association (TMA). The Seaport TMA is a nonprofit transportation management association in the South Boston Waterfront working to improve economic vitality in the district through advocacy and commuter services. For more information regarding the Seaport TMA please visit their website at www.seaporttma.org.
We are proud members of the Seaport Transportation Management Association (TMA). The Seaport TMA is a nonprofit transportation management association in the South Boston Waterfront working to improve economic vitality in the district through advocacy and commuter services. For more information regarding the Seaport TMA, please visit their website at www.seaporttma.org.
TRACK THE IDB SHUTTLE
Download the free “Ride Systems” app from your mobile device and choose “IDB Shuttle” from the list or visit the website www.IDBShuttle.com. Locate your nearest stop and select a route for location and arrival times. You can also receive updates by SMS text message alerts, search by route, and see updated shuttle information.
Shuttle Amenities include WiFi, GPS tracking, and text messaging.
|North Station||21 Drydock Ave.|
|6:30 AM||3:30 PM|
|7:20 AM||4:25 PM|
|7:40 AM||4:50 PM|
|8:00 AM||5:10 PM|
|8:15 AM||5:35 PM
|8:35 AM||5:55 PM|
|8:50 AM||6:15 PM|
|9:10 AM||6:35 PM|
|9:30 AM||7:10 PM|
|9:55 AM||7:35 PM|
|South Station||21 Drydock Ave.|
|6:20 AM||3:15 PM|
|6:40 AM||3:40 PM|
|7:00 AM||4:00 PM|
|7:15 AM||4:15 PM|
|7:30 AM||4:30 PM|
|7:45 AM||4:45 PM|
|8:00 AM||5:00 PM|
|8:15 AM||5:15 PM|
|8:30 AM||5:30 PM|
|8:45 AM||5:45 PM|
|9:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|9:15 AM||6:15 PM|
|9:30 AM||6:30 PM|
|9:45 AM||6:45 PM
|10:15 AM||7:10 PM
|10:45 AM||7:40 PM|
The pick-up and drop-off location at the IDB is in front of the 21 Drydock Avenue Entry Plaza adjacent to Roxy's Grilled Cheese and Triangle Coffee. The pick-up and drop-off location at North Station is on Haverhill Street, about 100 feet from the corner of Haverhill St. and Causeway St. The pick-up and drop-off location at South Station is on Summer Street, adjacent to the Federal Reserve building.
Jamestown acquired leasehold interests in the Innovation and Design Building in 2013 and is committed to enhancing the facility and fostering a thriving innovation community at the building for many years to come.
Jamestown is an investment and management company focused on income-producing real estate in the United States. Since 1983, Jamestown has expanded into a national, vertically integrated real estate operator with headquarters in Atlanta, GA and New York, NY and additional offices in Boston, MA and San Francisco, CA. All real estate acquisition, asset management, leasing, property management, and marketing activities are led from the U.S. offices.
Jamestown is widely regarded for its expertise in adaptive reuse projects and currently owns several nationally renowned projects including Ponce City Market in Atlanta, Georgia and Industry City in Brooklyn, New York. Jamestown prides itself in cultivating a unique sense of place in each community it works with. For more information, visit jamestownlp.com.